Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Modesty: Not Just Something On The Outside

Likewise, I want women to adorn themselves with proper clothing, modestly and discreetly, not with braided hair and gold or pearls or costly garments, but rather by means of good works, as is proper for women making a claim to godliness. 1 Timothy 2:9-10
The dictionary defines modesty as the quality of being modest; freedom from vanity, boastfulness, etc. I think that it is a great definition, but it is missing something. Modesty is not just a description for the outside of your body, but also the inside; your heart. Actually, modesty is a matter of the heart completely. Outer modesty comes from what you value and store up in your heart. You reflect God's love and reserve when you dress with modesty. When I get dressed in the morning I look in the mirror and ask myself if God would approve of what I am wearing. We should all be asking that question and we should also be asking if our heart is in the right place, so that we can let God shine through us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment