Thursday, May 2, 2013

Never take them for granted..

One of my friends lives about 850 miles away (depending on which route you take) near Chicago, IL. We have become pretty good friends regardless of how faraway we live from each other. On google+ I have made quite a few friends like that. They all go to church regularly and post encouraging thoughts..and sometimes funny things too. 
Wondering why I said that??
I was looking at some posts that I've read lately. One of them (a quote) caught my attention: 
"Never take someone for granted.
Hold every person close to your heart
because you might wake up one day
and realize that you've lost a diamond
while you were too busy collecting stones...
I admit that indeed I have taken people for granted, more times than I'd like to admit. I think we all do, and thats the saddest part. We just assume that when we wake up our family and friends are still going to be alive, or even if they're going to still be our friends. So, when I read this I questioned myself a lot. I wondered what life would be like without the people I care about most. It wasn't a very nice picture. One of the students in my philosophy class this last semester  told us how she had lost her whole immediate family in a fire at their house. She had just assumed that at 11:00pm, when she came home after a long day at college/work that they'd be there, but they weren't. It happened two years ago and she told us how hard it had to been to stop blaming herself. I couldn't imagine the despair and grief she must have suffered, but it could happen to any of us. 
So keep those diamonds safe even though they may have hard edges, 
because you don't want to lose them while looking for smooth, appealing stones. 

No comments:

Post a Comment